Cakemommy

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Holiday Cheer

Well as usual this time of year, we had a family gathering and git exchange. I am one of those people who thinks you can never have too much sparkle (read -glitter!) I loved making these decorations and treats for my family. I hope you enjoy them just as much. My favorite treat was the strawberry christmas tree!

 It was very simple to make. I used Wilton candy melts (these are great for using with kids as they chocolate doesn't get so hot it burns and it stays melted for a long time!) and after putting each berry on a stick, I dipped it and let it seize up on wax paper. I then drizzled some blue wilton candy melts and added little snowflakes and such, also by wilton as the "decorations". Once it had dried I poked each berry into a florists cone, purchased at michaels. I started at the bottom and worked my way up. I love how it turned out. Note, this should be made the day of your party. Also- You can use this for a ton of events! Change out the colors to suit your theme.
 One of my favorites were these little mini "mugs of hot cocoa"! I used a paper straw purchased at the dollar store and cut it in half. I poked one end in the marshmallows after I had dipped the top in brown wilton candy melts then I let it set up. After it dried, I "glued" on candy cane handles with white chocolate and made the little holly design. Note - I broke like one handle for every one I used! LOL but mini candy canes were cheap at the dollar store...save the broken ones as I have a tip for those later ;) I dabbed a small amount of white chocolate on the front of the mugs then I added the little berries and tree sprinkels, also by wilton. My kids were in love with these as were the adults. They are super cheap and easy to make and....
 I made a second use for them! I added one marshmellow stir stick to a cello bag, added a package of hot cocoa, a Heidi Swapp free printable tag and a mini christmas ball from the dollar store...cutest ever guest thank yous to take home! I also made some for all of the staff where I work. Again, these would be cute for a camping party etc just change the decorations to suit your theme.
I love my old pepsi crate and it received a little christmas makeover. I added some faux greens from the dollar store, my antique mason jars and some tealights for a gorgeous table centrepiece. You will see this crate again in future posts. Stay tuned as I am adding more photos from this event...you dont htink I forgot about the broken candy cane tip do you??? Stay tuned
Dang work gets in the way of blogging! As promised, m,ore pics and my tip. Take the leftover candycannes or ones you broke making the marshmellow stir sticks...rim a mug with melted chocolate and then dip in the broken candy cane pieces! It looks beautiful and tastes delicious! You're guests will be wowed by the extra little touches.
 Here they are! A little candy cane spoon from Wilton Canada makes a sweet addition
 For the signature cocktail, I sugared the rims of the glasses with blue sugar so pretty!
 The Sweets
 Wilton Candy cane spoons

 Snowman cupcakes and santa hat chocolate dipped pretzels
 I found the idae for these little gems on pinterest! Free printable, some glue and a cute take home for guests!
My friend Stacy cut these letters using her silhouette so i could dress up the mirror
 mini cheeesecakes in single serve glasses were a delicious after dinner treat, I picked up the gorgeous stand at Winners...I have a ridiculous collection of them but theyre too gorgeous to leave at the store!
 Cute vintage sign from Urban Barn let guests know what treats awaited their taste buds
Happy holidays everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment